About Our Parish
Orthodoxy was brought to Memphis by Greeks who immigrated to the area in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1907 the first Greek Orthodox Priest came to Memphis from Greece to serve the Orthodox community. By 1916 the parish had grown to the point that they could purchase land, and the cornerstone of the original church building was laid at 3rd & Poplar in 1920, with the first Divine Liturgy there in January 1921.
In 1955 the Annunciation moved to its current location at 573 N Highland Street in Memphis with Father Nicholas Vieron as parish priest. We remain here today, now with Father Simon Thomas as the presiding priest, a diverse community composed not only of families of Greek descent, but also including Orthodox families who have come to Orthodoxy from other faiths.